Friday, March 4, 2011

Tim Holtz Altered Shadow Box

A fun way to turn a shadow box into an antique looking masterpiece by Julie Tucker-Wolek

A note from Julie on her project: "I wanted to share with you a Tim Holtz shadow box that I altered! :)  I know that Tim Holtz has "Distress Crackle Paints" on the market, but I wanted to share with you the way I create the "crackled" paint look!"
"First I started by painting the shadow box with my Claudine Hellmuth's Studio Blue Paint!"
"After painting all the pieces blue, I then painted the pieces with Crackle Paint. BlueMoon carries Golden Crackle Paste.
"After that is dry, I added my Claudine Hellmuth's Studio Pink Paint as my top coat. This paint will NOT go on solid, as I have used the crackle paint as my second step, it will cause the top coat to crackle against my blue base coat!"
"Here is the result of my Blue Base Coat, the crackle paint, and then my Top Pink Coat!"
"Using the three different paints, you can see it gave my Tim Holtz shadow box an antique feel to it!"
"And here is my FINAL project!!! I used the Tim Holtz's "Distress Ink - Rusty Hinge" around the edges of the shadow box, to add a little bit more rustic/antique feeling to it!"
"I added an antique milk cap in this box, and also a 7gypises ring to the front of it! Tim Holtz's examples for his shadow box showed all the squares placed inside - I decided to "go out of the box" and place one of the squares on top of the shadow box!" 
I love the antique keys by Tattered Angels!
"The Bingo Numbers I used from Maya Road, all have a meaning to me! The "14" and "4" are how old my kids are when I made this project, the "3" is a special number for me and Hubby, the "5" is how many we have in our home (counting the dog too!), and the "30" is the date we are moving this year, starting a new adventure in our lives!"


3 comments:

Dana Tatar said...

This is awesome! I LOVE the 2 color distressed finish!

Melissa Mann said...

That is really beautiful, Julie!! Love it!

Diana Fisher said...

Wow!! I love this!! Amazing painting and crackle technique.